counter statistics

Monday, November 21, 2005

A Republican for Bonoff

Terri Bonoff may be too liberal for my taste; but she does stand for things I think are more than okay. First and foremost for me she would make sure that I retained the ability to make my own decisions. Pro abortion: I dont think she is, and I am certainly not. But I get to decide I am not, and nobody else does.

She would also not try to pass a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage. From everything I have read about her, she would try to capture the commitment in both gay and straight marriages for the betterment of society. This alone would take the wind out of the sails of those who say marriage is only between a man and a woman, and is sacred. They forget history: marriage, or betrothals often between infants and children, was very much a stratgy to assure continuation of heritage. And more than often it worked. But let's not re-write history about marriage; there is too much of that is going on about other subjects.

As for those that question why a Republican would think like this. They too forget history. In the not so distant past (20-25 years ago) the platform of the Republican party contained nothing about abortion or gay marriage. It was only when the fundamentalists, that I think were disenchanted with the Democrats, took over the party that these topics became the litmus test against which everything else was measured.

But, I digress. I will vote for Terri Bonoff in the Special Election in District 43; I want her in the State Senate to protect me from those that would help me out of everything I own.