counter statistics

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

St Cloud Senate Candidates on the Bachmann Amendment

St Cloud Times
:

What is your stand on the state constitutional amendment defining marriage as a union between a man and a woman?


Dan Becker
- I will vote in favor of this.

I do not support changing the definition of marriage between a man and a woman.

I think if the gay community had supported the civil union concept during the Clinton years, this would have been done.

Let me also say I do not like to amend the constitution often because it takes away from the integrity of it.

Tarryl Clark - It is currently against the law in Minnesota for gays to marry. As I stated in Q5, I’m opposed to amending the state constitution unless there’s a real need to. That standard applies here.

Much of the last two years have been wasted on legislative debate on this issue, mainly by politicians who hope to push voter turnout one way or another in the next election. That’s not the purpose of the constitutional amendment process. If it were the case that Minnesota’s law, which has been on the books for years, were overturned, then the question could be put to the voters.


Dan Ochsner
- I believe the sanctity of marriage is in jeopardy. I will fight the Senate DFL Majority’s position against the DOMA amendment and will work hard to allow Minnesotans the right to vote to permanently protect and define marriage.

0 comments: