counter statistics

Sunday, January 08, 2006

DFL Feminist Caucus Screening of DFL Governor Candidates

Hat Tip: Michael Brodkorb

DFL CANDIDATE FORUM
The DFL Feminist Caucus is sponsoring a DFL governor candidate forum. The forum will be next Sunday, January 15, at 2 PM, at the Hennepin County Government Center, in the Auditorium on the Lower Level.

I don't know if it's open to the public, but I may attend.


Thanks for the tip, Michael. This should be interesting.

Michael also was the early bird to post a copy of the email that Sheila Kiscaden will be running for Leutenant Governor with Kelly Doran.

Sunday, January 08, 2006
MDE BREAKIING NEWS: KISACDEN EMAIL TRUMPS TOMORROW'S OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT
I just received this email from a reader of Minnesota Democrats Exposed. 15 minutes earlier I received an email from Doran's campaign providing the details on tomorrow's announcement.

##

Dear DFL Friends,

Greetings and Happy New Year!

Thank you for your patience as you waited for my decision regarding the course of action I will pursue for the 2006 elections. Many of you have wondered if I will become a Democrat.

The answer is "yes."

This is an easy decision.

I grew up in a large extended family of trade unionists. My father and nearly all of my uncles were members of the building trade unions: painters, pipe fitters, bricklayers, and electricians. Being a democrat was as much a part of our family culture as being Catholic.

As an adult I became a Republican, but that was in the days that the Republican Party had an active moderate wing that believed strongly in the role of government in creating opportunity so all can prosper and in assuring social justice. The Republican Party has changed.

My views and values have not and, like the prodigal, I am returning to the Democratic Party where I have been warmly welcomed and made to feel at home. But, as I have been welcomed back to the Democratic Party, a more difficult decision faced me.

I care passionately about this state and believe that Minnesota needs to get back on track by focusing on effectiveness in government, investment in the common good and preparing for the challenges of our future.

The legislative gridlock of the past few years is the result of both zealous partisanship and a lack of statesmanship by leaders. I asked myself; how can I best put my experience, my knowledge, and my energies to work for our communities and for our state? What contribution can I make? What role should I play?

I intended to run for re-election to the State Senate and notified my supporters of that intent in a letter mailed at the end of October. But I continued to keep an eye on other options and to ask myself, where can I make the biggest difference? Ultimately, I decided I could have greater influence to create these changes in Minnesota by following a different pathway.

After urging by many different individuals and conversations with several candidates for Governor, I have decided to seek higher office.

It is fitting that you be among the first to know that I will be running for Lieutenant Governor with Kelly Doran, a successful businessman who, as you know, is running as a Democratic candidate for Governor.

I have gotten to know Kelly Doran over the past few weeks, and I like what I see. He represents a centrist, pro-growth approach that fits Minnesota. His deep concern about Minnesota's future motivated him to give up his business ventures and seek public office. He offers a fresh choice to Minnesota voters and is not bound by years of political partisanship and obligations.

Minnesota does need more principle and less politics. That reflects my own political philosophy, the way I have tried to serve in the Minnesota Legislature, and why I have agreed to accept this opportunity to be on the Doran team.

Having represented Senate District 30 for nearly 14 years, I also want to be sure that there be a strong, reliable, community- oriented candidate to stand for election for the Senate.

In recent days I have been encouraging Ann Lynch, one of Rochester's current elected officials serving on the non-partisan school board, to become a candidate for my Senate District 30 seat. Ann has the skills, experience and community focus to be an excellent Senator.

Please join me in encouraging her to run for the Minnesota Senate.

Serving you in the Minnesota Senate has been a challenging and rewarding chapter of my life. I am both honored and grateful to have had this rare experience. I sincerely thank you for that opportunity and for your support at the polls and in my election campaigns. I hope that over the years I have earned your trust and that you will continue to support me as I seek to serve as your Lieutenant Governor.

In the coming weeks, I will be inviting you to a gathering so that I may thank you in person and give you the opportunity to meet Kelly Doran. I believe that once you meet him, you will understand why I have chosen to seek higher office and why I believe Kelly Doran will be the best candidate for Governor.

Once again, I send my sincere thanks for giving me such a warm welcome back to the Democratic Party. I hope that I will have your support as I seek to continue to serve you and the state.

Best personal regards,

Sheila


This is the reason I read that blog. At it's best, is it's a great source of political gossip - on it's worst days, it's "hey look everybody at this campaign volunteer sending out email from their work computer" nonsense.

Write Michael Brodkorb at: michael@weberjohnsonpa.com. Tell him to continue to post real political news on his blog like this.

0 comments: