counter statistics

Saturday, January 14, 2006

No Change of Mind

Over a week ago I posted a blog about Judge Alito. Basically, I was not impressed. Since listening to the hearings, I am even more unimpressed. I was chided in a response to my blog, that it all depended on whether I was a liberal or a conservative. I think not; I have common sense. This is a nominee for the Supreme Court who would not say that if there was irrefutable evidence that someone about to be executed was indeed innocent, that he/she (usually he) deserved not to be executed. In two cases he heard where errors were made by govenment lawyers or the lawyer for the plaintiff (who happened to be a large corporation) Judge Alito made allowances for this in his opinion, and filled in the missing argument. This is a Judge who allowed a strip search of a 10 year old girl. This is a Judge who said spouses should be notified before a woman has an abortion.(I do not know if this is before or after a decision by the woman is made). As I have said here before, I am personally anti abortion. However, I am adamantly pro choice. This means that a decision, whatever it is, about me is mine to make, and belongs to nobody else. Consult? Yes. Give it away? No.

Are we ever lucky that this man is going to be a member of the Supreme Court, for life. He has shown time and time again that he does not have the intellectul vigor to examine that facts before him and apply the law accordingly. I think it will be a total travesty to have him confirmed to sit on the Supreme Court.

0 comments: