counter statistics

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Geoff Michel Answers Constituent Email

Hi Eva,
Thanks again for your help today. I have forwarded to you the email I received from Geoff Michel. Actually, I had never contacted his office regarding malpractice reform, so I have no idea where he got that....But he says in black and white that he supports a referendum. Now, whether that means he'd vote down a bill that did not HAVE a referendum....well, that's semantics and politics for you.
Laura L.

From: Sen.Geoff Michel []
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2006 9:03 AM
To: Laura Lehman
Subject: State sale of information

Dear Dr. Lehmann: Thank you for your email regarding state sale of driver information.

I agree and expect bipartisan legislation will pass this session that will end this practice.

Please accept my apology for not responding to earlier communications from you. That is not acceptable. During the height of session my office receives up to 100 communications per day. I make sure to read everything from residents of Edina and West Bloomington but cannot always respond as quickly as I'd like. My goal for constituents is to respond to most calls,letters, faxes and email within one week.

I do know that you are supportive of medical malpractice reforms that I have sponsored in the Senate. I'm particularly concerned about emergency physicians and have enjoyed working with many of your colleagues on this issue. We have more to do.

And I recall, and have read recently in the Pioneer Press, your strong support for a referendum on the Hennepin County- Twins proposal. Again, I agree with you that Hennepin County is being asked to bear more than a fair share of this proposal and that should require a referendum. Now that a new year has begun I do not believe the Twins proposal will be revived and I don't believe this will come before the Legislature this year.

I am a strong proponent of the University of Minnesota stadium proposal and feel that Minnesotans distinguish between professional sports stadiums and suppport for the University.

Thank you again for contacting me on these matters and I'm sorry about not following up in a timely fashion.

Please let me know if you have other concerns or questions.


Geoff Michel
State Senator
District 41
133 State Office Bldg.
St. Paul, MN 55155

"laura lehmann" 1/5/2006 5:38:47 PM
Senator Michel,

I strongly urge you to support legislation sponsored by Sen. Ann Rest and Rep. Jim Davnie to end the sale by the state of Minnesota of drivers license information. In this age of identity theft it is an utter disgrace that this took place, and anyone who does not help to end this practice will be as guilty as those who authorized it in the first place. This is not an issue that will be forgotten at election time. You have chosen not to respond to any of my previous emails, so I do not expect a response to this one -- but at least do the right thing and end this practice that endangers the financial stability of every Minnesotan with a drivers license. Thank you for your time.

Laura J. Lehmann, M.D.

So there you have it... Geoff Michel is on the record favoring a Stadium Tax referendum in Hennepin County. Whether that means he will vote that way is another story.