counter statistics

Friday, March 10, 2006

Ball-Pork, JOBZ-Pork - Every Type of Pork Pork

Tim Pawlenty has some pork, E-I-E-I-O
And in his pork he had a stadium, E-I-E-I-O
With an "oink-oink" here and an "oink-oink" there
Here an "oink" there an "oink"
Everywhere an "oink-oink"
Tim Pawlenty had a bill, E-I-E-I-O

Tim Pawlenty has some pork, E-I-E-I-O
And on his farm he had some JOBZ, E-I-E-I-O
With an "oink-oink" here and an "oink-oink" there
Here Ball Pork, there some JOBZ
Every type of Pork, Pork...
Tim Pawlenty had a bill, E-I-E-I-O

Anyone hear the state of the state address? It was truly a tribute to legislative sausage making. Over at the Minneapolis Rumors list, Dean Carlson is promoting the time tested porking things up approach to getting the stadium boondoggle through Hennepin County.

I've been touting on this list for years (check the archives) that a 1/5 cent 7-11 county sale tax could cover all three stadiums plus what ever other "social issue" (housing, child care, environment, arts, etc) that was deemed important is the way to go. That way you'd get a broad coalition of interest groups supporting the sales tax with only the Phil Krinkies and David Stroms of the world opposed.

It's too bad no one ever showed the leadership to propose and fight for such an idea at the State Legislature.

Dean E. Carlson
East Harriet

Such a bill is NOT leadership - it is typical budget busting sausage making. It's exactly how pork gets into the budget. In Minneapolis, we have voted to increase our taxes for the central library. We have voted to increase taxes for our public schools. We clearly voted AGAINST tax subsidy for stadiums. That's why Hennepin County got into this nonsense.

We elect legislators to decide on spending priorities.

The business community should step up to the plate on this one - not the taxpayers.

Eva Young

0 comments: