counter statistics

Monday, October 09, 2006

Defeat Brad Finstad

Brad Finstad is the house sponsor and cheerleader for the Stadium Swindle. I wrote his opponent, Bob Skillings to ask his views on the matter. Here was his response:

I've gotten quite a bit of feedback from voters in my district that weren't pleased with Mr. Finstad's work on the Twins stadium.

In 1999, I was the lead person in trying to get a local sales tax passed in New Ulm. We were successful in asking the state legislature to allow us to put it on the ballot for local residents to vote on. It passed and we have some wonderful community centers as a result.

Citizens from all over Minnesota enjoy our pro sports teams and do not want to see them leave. I think it is an issue for the entire state and not just Hennepin County.

There is a perception in my district that the Metro area has forgotten or discounts Greater Minnesota because of the population imbalance. If elected, I would try to make sure that Greater Minnesota residents have the same opportunities and needs addressed as Metro area residents.

Mr. Finstad says that he chose to lead the stadium charge so that Greater Minnesota residents did not have to pay for it. To me, that seems to be the most divisive thing someone could do. In the long run, I would guess that it will hurt Greater Minnesota's cause rather than help. Minnesota's government needs to seek unity and consensus.

I've just written a letter to the editor that will get published in the New Ulm Paper. If you want to write letters to the editor, here are the addresses in this district:

The Journal (New Ulm) -
Springfield Advance Press -
Sleepy Eye Herald Dispatch -