counter statistics

Saturday, October 28, 2006

MCCL and the Auditor/SOS Office

From Minnesota Campaign Report:

I'm curious as to what MCCL thinks the offices of Secretary of State and State Auditor have to do with their radical right-wing agenda?

Conversely, why are Pat Anderson and Mary Kiffmeyer the only candidates for those offices who answered MCCL's questionnaire? Pandering to the right wing, perhaps? While running for watchdog offices that are supposed to watch out for everyone in Minnesota?

Now Outfront Minnesota also sent questionaires to these candidates. Rebecca Otto answered this questionaire, and she said she opposes the Bachmann amendment. Her voting record says otherwise, and Outfront knows this.

Bruce Kennedy says:
October 27th, 2006 at 9:11 pm

I received the questionnaire. I responded that none of the issues related to the SOS office. Their rule is if you don't limit your answer to yes or no, then you didn't respond.
Actually, there was one question about mail voting which I answered. But they didn't post that question in the voters' guide.
I also told Planned Parenthood and NARAL that I didn't make abortion policy. There are many groups that don't know or don't care that the SOS does not vote in the legislature. I finally developed a form letter for these people which I shared with the other candidates. Here's the end of it: "Please do not interpret my refusal as a slight to your organization. But I feel it is important for a candidate, especially one for Secretary of State who promotes civic virtue and informed voting, to avoid making claims that cannot be fulfilled or to misrepresent the limits of the office. And I disapprove of my opponents when they don't make the same point. If your questions pertain to the office I seek, I will happily respond. Otherwise, I urge you to eliminate this office from your published responses." Seeing no change in the MCCL guide, I posted this to my website:

Linda Higgins says:
October 27th, 2006 at 8:22 pm

The MCCL is forever mucking around in election committees in the MN House and Senate. I've seen good discussions go sour right after all the prolife senators get little yellow notes from the MCCL lobbyists. They killed the June primary bill. They killed the IRV bill. They go to extreme lengths to protect the status quo, since they evidently believe they have figured out the system to get their folks elected.

These issues have nothing to do with the MCCL mission.