counter statistics

Monday, December 04, 2006

Norm Coleman: The Bible is the Foundation Of Our Nation

There's a discussion of CAIR's call for the Removal of Dennis Prager from the Holocaust Museum board over at the Drama Queen's blog. One commenter posts Norm Coleman's response to his or her email:

I chose to take my oath of office on the Bible, and find its teachings to be part of the foundation of this nation. However, the Constitution permits elected officials to be sworn into office using whatever document they wish as long as they profess a willingness to state the truth. Moreover, when Members of the House of Representatives officially take their oath of office, they do not use any object to swear on. Only for unofficial photo reenactments do Members select their own religious objects to use. As the elected representative of Minnesota's 5th district, Representative-elect Ellison has expressed his preference to use a Koran for this occasion, as is within his Constitutional rights.

Thank you once again for contacting me. I am humbled to serve as your Senator, and hope you will not hesitate to contact me on any issue of concern to you or your family.

Sincerely,
Norm Coleman
United States Senate


I have written Coleman on this topic. I have not gotten a response.

0 comments: