counter statistics

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Colorado Senator Wayne Allard Announces Plan to Honor Pledge

This should be a hotly contested seat.

ALLARD TO HONOR TERM LIMIT PLEDGE
Says He Will Not Seek Re-Election in 2008

January 15th, 2007 - DENVER, CO - U.S. Sen. Wayne Allard (R-Colo.) announced on Monday that he will honor his term limit pledge and will not seek re-election to the U.S. Senate in 2008.

“When I first announced for Congress, I made a pledge to be a citizen legislator and serve in the Jeffersonian ideal of public service where you serve for a period of time and then return to live under the laws you have helped enact,” said Allard. “I also pledged to the people of Colorado, that if elected, I would serve no more than two terms in the United States Senate. Today, I am honoring both of those pledges to the citizens of Colorado.”

Allard said that in an age when promises are treated almost cavalierly, it was important for him to honor the trust placed in him by the people of Colorado.

“In an age when promises are cast away as quickly as yesterday’s newspaper, I believe a promise made is a promise kept,” said Allard. “The people of Colorado placed their trust in me based on my promise to them to serve no more than two terms, and it was very important to me to not dishonor that trust.”

Allard added that he still has two years remaining in his term and he expects those two years to be two of the most productive.

“I have already introduced this year the first-phase of my Colorado legislative agenda comprising 16 bills,” said Allard. “In the coming weeks, I will be building on this agenda with the introduction of several more pieces of legislation. I intend my final two years to be my most productive of my congressional career and will continue to work just as hard for the people of Colorado my last two years in office as I have over the last 16 years.”



Minnesota's own Gil Gutknecht and Paul Wellstone did not honor comparable pledges.

0 comments: