counter statistics

Saturday, January 13, 2007

I've Never Thought Much of Barbara Boxer

But Condi Rice is reaching for straws here:

In an interview Friday, Rice suggested that Boxer had set back feminism by suggesting during the hearing that the childless Rice had paid no price in the Iraq war.

"I thought it was OK to be single," Rice said. "I thought you could still make good decisions on behalf of the country if you were single and didn't have children."

During the Thursday hearing, Boxer told Rice: "Who pays the price? I'm not going to pay a personal price. My kids are too old and my grandchild is too young. You're not going to pay a particular price ... with an immediate family. So who pays the price? The American military and their families."

In an interview Friday, Boxer said her comments had been misunderstood and were now being turned against her. "What I was trying to do in this exchange was to find common ground with Condi Rice," Boxer said.

During the hearing, Rice did not appear to take issue with Boxer's comments. But White House spokesman Tony Snow had suggested earlier Friday that Boxer's comments were anti-feminist.

This is nonsense from the White House trying to distract attention from the issue at hand.

UPDATE: Americablog speculates more.

UPDATE2: Malcontent weighs in.