counter statistics

Monday, May 28, 2007

Drama Queen Misrepresents Larry Schumacher Column

UPDATED: Brodkorb takes issue with the term "misrepresents", but is ok with the word misleading to describe the post. See more below.

Brodkorb's quote:

"But Monday night shook me out of that complacency. The last two hours of debate on the floor of the House of Representatives made me nauseous and angry.

I don't know if House Speaker Margaret Anderson Kelliher and Democrats' decision to run roughshod over the GOP minority to finish on time was within the rules, but I know it was wrong." Source: St. Cloud Times, May 27, 2007


Here is what Schumacher said with more context. He goes after both parties, though is stronger in criticizing the democrats. His full column (well worth reading) is available at the St Cloud Times.

But Monday night shook me out of that complacency. The last two hours of debate on the floor of the House of Representatives made me nauseous and angry.

I don't know if House Speaker Margaret Anderson Kelliher and Democrats' decision to run roughshod over the GOP minority to finish on time was within the rules, but I know it was wrong.

House Republicans were stalling, running the clock out to force a special session. Many of them believed House Democrats would take the blame if the people's work didn't get done on time.

That was just as wrong. But Democrats' poor clock management over the last week gave Republicans that power. They didn't see until too late that they were never going to agree 100 percent with Gov. Tim Pawlenty, and they waited until Monday to press ahead when they could've been finishing up over the weekend.

I'll give DFLers credit for finishing on time, especially because I've written before about the dangers of another special session or government shutdown.

The public's trust in government is very, very low, and another failure to complete the people's business on time would have hurt us all. I'm not sure House Minority Leader Marty Seifert, R-Marshall, realizes that.

But Monday night's shameful displays make me just as uneasy. For all the cynics' desire to scapegoat our politicians for everything that's wrong today, I think Monday night says more about us than them.

When I think about the broadsides we level at our government — financial irresponsibility, abuse of power, juvenile behavior, corruption — I see the same things at work, at home, in the community, in myself.

Yet, when I remember to stop and look at this 101-year-old building, I still feel something like pride in my state and my neighbors.

So I'm going to resist numbing myself to what goes on here and give some unsolicited advice instead.

To lawmakers: Stop pretending this is a game and the only way to win is for the other side to lose. It's not.

To readers: Stop pretending that what goes on here is separate from or irrelevant to your life. It's not.


Brodkorb's commenters went after Keliher's weight, rather than substance:

# WildBlue Says:
May 28th, 2007 at 7:34 am

Chet,

Why do you refer to the Speaker as Large Marge? That doesn’t seem very respectful. I don’t remember people saying Skinny Steve.
# Chet Says:
May 28th, 2007 at 9:40 am

Respect?

Large Marge will get respect when she’s earned it. Her, in her stylish Hoigaard Brown Shirt (could be a Coleman tent, hard to see the tag), shut down opposition to bills she wanted passed. She didn’t allow discussion. She ignored pleas for rules to be followed. She ruled with the kind of iron fist only Stalin and his ilk could respect.

She’ll get respect when it is earned. As it stands, she ought to resign her position in embarrassment. But I know DFL’ers have no shame because abusing power for their own ends is part of how they operate.
# Chestnut Says:
May 28th, 2007 at 9:57 am

Large Marge, Two-Ton Tessie, Fatty-Fatty Two-By-Four, Plump Peggy, etc…

Is that enough respect for that dictatorial cow?


Nice, huh?

UPDATE: Commenters react -

Collapse comments

Minnesota Democrats Exposed said...

I didn't misrepresent anything. Schumacher wrote an unflattering section in his column about the House Democrats and I posted it.

He wrote exactly what claimed he wrote...I quoted him exactly. I provided two direct links to the story.

My sourcing was accurate and my writing was accurate.


I didn't misrepresent Schumacher's column. This is really weak - even by your standards.

9:41 PM

10:13 AM

Markh said...

Emmer and Olson ran down the clock big-time on May 21st.

Did the GOP want to force yet another special session?

Michael - your representation of the Schumacher column is on par with Hollywood press agents who will cherry pick certain words out of a scathing movie review, and use the carefully chosen words to make it sound like the critic loved the film.

10:24 AM

Avidor said...

Cherry picked without a doubt.


I think Mark H hits the nail on the head.

5 comments:

Minnesota Democrats Exposed said...

I didn't misrepresent anything. Schumacher wrote an unflattering section in his column about the House Democrats and I posted it.

He wrote exactly what claimed he wrote...I quoted him exactly. I provided two direct links to the story.

My sourcing was accurate and my writing was accurate.


I didn't misrepresent Schumacher's column. This is really weak - even by your standards.

Avidor said...

What about Rep. Mark Olson wasting the legislature's time with his long, idiotic rants?

Why did GOP 6 CD Chair Mark Swanson showing support for Olson by scrubbing Olson's Wikipedia page a month before Olson's trial?

Does the rest of the MN GOP leadership want that abusive, time-wasting loudmouth back in the legislature next year?

Markh said...

Emmer and Olson ran down the clock big-time on May 21st.

Did the GOP want to force yet another special session?

Markh said...

Michael - your representation of the Schumacher column is on par with Hollywood press agents who will cherry pick certain words out of a scathing movie review, and use the carefully chosen words to make it sound like the critic loved the film.

Avidor said...

Cherry picked without a doubt.