counter statistics

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Norm Coleman Responds to Constituent Email

Amy Klobuchar has not responded to the same email.

Dear Ms. Young :

Thank you for taking the time to contact me concerning H.R. 1246, the Military Readiness Enhancement Act of 2007.

As you may know, H.R. 1246 was introduced on February 28, 2007 by Representative Martin Meehan (D-MA) and was referred to the House Subcommittee on Military Personnel where it awaits further action. This bill would repeal the current Department of Defense policy of "don't ask, don't tell."

On November 30, 1993, President Clinton signed into law the fiscal year 1994 National Defense Authorization Act, which included the "don't ask, don't tell" policy. While supporters of "don't ask, don't tell" believe that openly homosexual men and women who participate in the armed services are a risk to unit cohesion, I am fully aware of concerns you raise, that the policy is wasteful and discriminatory.

Please know that I will take a close look at this legislation if it comes before the Senate for a vote and that I value your advice.

Thank you once again for contacting me. If I may be of further assistance to you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Norm Coleman
United States Senate

I'm unclear from this how Norm Coleman will vote. I encourage others to write Norm Coleman to encourage him to co-sponsor this legislation and do the same with Amy Klobuchar.


Dennis Sanders said...

Well, at least he said it was discriminatory. Coleman being Coleman, I have no idea if that means he will vote to overturn it, but at there is a ray of hope.