counter statistics

Saturday, June 02, 2007

Republican Activist Eckernet Unloads on Bush and Coleman

I’m firmly convinced that if one of the GOP 2008 Presidential Candidates made his campaign slogan “President Bush Is A Disgrace”, he’d instantly capture a large plurality of the conservative base. Normally that would worry me, but after being insulted and spit upon by “my” parties leadership I barely care. I find myself strangely apathetic to 2008 Coleman race as well. When it comes down to it both Coleman and his eventual opponent seem intent on pushing this country off the cliff, the only difference being how hard the shove is.

I just can’t see the GOP, or indeed this country, surviving this amnesty bill. And if this amnesty bill fails, while the country may be saved, I’m convinced the damage has already been done to the GOP. Rifts have been created that I’m not entirely certain will easily heal. The base has so little faith and no confidence in it’s leadership. I’m not even sure new leadership would help that. While I’ll agree with Chief that a Sarkozy style candidate has more of a chance than anything else I’m not sure it’s anything but futile.


Pretty strong words. It goes without saying that Aplikowski is ranting about immigration also.

A commenter on Triple A's site points out:

# bmetzler Says:
June 1st, 2007 at 2:39 pm

Hopefully, if all the anti-amnesty supporters “abandon” the GOP, the party can build a “sane” base and work on making America better again. I’m sure that there plenty of moderates in the Democrat party who are more then ready to abandon that freak-show and join a sane party. Not sure what the “conservatives” will do, but they seem bent on self-destruction anyways, so they can go beat on themselves out of the way someplace.

The other alternative is that the “conservatives” manage to sink the whole ship before they self-destruct and we end up with a one-party country for decades to come. Oh, what the heck, I’m going to start practicing saying Senator Franken now anyways, I’m going to be saying enough of it sooner or later.


Others reacted:

# mattma Says:
June 2nd, 2007 at 10:30 am

The Republican Party has a problem; it is losing the conservative voters that once voted for it. That base includes voters in the Constitution party, fiscal conservative Libertarians, and conservative independent voters. It will lose elections both nationally and in Minnesota; until it rids itself of “go along to get along” Republicans.
# the Lady Logician Says:
June 2nd, 2007 at 10:48 am

Matt - what I am trying to get Brent to understand is that the go-along-to-get-along’s and thhe hard core conservatives NEED EACH OTHER!!!! Neither side can do it alone. We have to work together if we are going to win….

LL

0 comments: