counter statistics

Monday, October 01, 2007

Strib's Doug Tice Misrepresents Former Colleague Eric Black in Post about Limbaugh/Coleman/Media Matters Flap

Eric Black's original article is available here.

Doug Tice's claimed he "came away with this summary".

Limbaugh insists that he was misunderstood and misrepresented and was actually referring to a specific, and authentically “phony” soldier — not to dissenting soldiers in general. His explanation is not impossible to accept.

It’s also possible to believe that a reasonable person might have honestly interpreted Limbaugh to be calling all anti-war soliders “phony.”


Tice then added:

[Norm] Coleman, at all events, was asked, not to judge what Limbaugh did or did not say, but to respond to the sentiment that there’s something phony about a soldier who publicly opposes the war. He did so, saying any such claim is “wrong.”


He was probably trying to do damage control for Norm Coleman who probably heard criticism about his statement criticizing Limbaugh from angry base voters.

Here was Coleman's statement as reported by Doug Tice:

“Limbaugh’s suggestion that those who have served their country and express their opinions are ‘phony soldiers’ is wrong. There needs to be a level of civility and honest debate in this country about issues as important as this. Labeling an active duty General a traitor, or calling a soldier a phony for having a different opinion does not rise to the level of discourse we hold ourselves to in this country.”


The statement was clearly about Rush Limbaugh.

UPDATE: Eric Black comments -

Eric Black here. I apologize for not replying more promptly when you emailed me yesterday to ask whether I felt Tice had misrepresented what I wrote. Actually, I don't feel my esteemed former colleague Doug Tice misrepresented my post. He surely didn't recite all elements of my analysis, many of which were rough on Rush. But I did say that given the whole of the now infamous few minutes of Limbaugh's program during which he uttered the prhase "phony soldiers," it was possible for fairminded people to conclude that he was talking about all soldiers who oppose the war (as Media Matters concluded), and it was possible to believe that Limbaugh was making a reference to Jesse MacBeth (as Limbaugh claimed the next day). Cheers.

1 comments:

eblack said...

Eric Black here. I apologize for not replying more promptly when you emailed me yesterday to ask whether I felt Tice had misrepresented what I wrote. Actually, I don't feel my esteemed former colleague Doug Tice misrepresented my post. He surely didn't recite all elements of my analysis, many of which were rough on Rush. But I did say that given the whole of the now infamous few minutes of Limbaugh's program during which he uttered the prhase "phony soldiers," it was possible for fairminded people to conclude that he was talking about all soldiers who oppose the war (as Media Matters concluded), and it was possible to believe that Limbaugh was making a reference to Jesse MacBeth (as Limbaugh claimed the next day). Cheers,