counter statistics

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Pat Shortridge on Mitt Romney

Truth v Machine:

This year, perhaps more than any in my political memory, voters are searching for authenticity, both personal and political. I think we’re all very tired of politicians who talk a good game, but then fail to deliver, or deliver the opposite of what they promised.

One of my theories on the continued strength of Giuliani is that he’s displaying an old fashioned virtue, honesty, and it’s working with voters. He’s not pretending to be something he isn’t. He isn’t telling me he agrees with me on every issue that’s important to me. He’s not pretending that his personal life has been perfect. He’s admitted mistakes and tried to learn from them. I don’t know about you, but I can identify with that.

The Romney strategy makes so little sense because he has an interesting story. Successful businessman. Fixed the Olympics. Governor of Massachusetts. But there are a heck of a lot of us who just aren’t going to take seriously the idea of Mitt Romney handing out the litmus test for what it means to be a Republican or a conservative. He just wasn’t there fighting with us often enough to have acquired that kind of standing. It takes someone like Newt to pull that off.

For all his positive qualities, he’s simply not credible as THE CONSERVATIVE. His past defenses of the pro-choice position, his calling himself an Independent during the Reagan years, his attacks on the Flat Tax, his refusal to support the Contract with America, his record as Governor of Massachusetts, and on down the line, just don’t qualify him as THE CONSERVATIVE.


I don't get it either.

1 comments:

Rhino-itall said...

You're absolutely right, but the only true conservative in the race is Duncan Hunter