counter statistics

Saturday, August 08, 2009

RT Rybak Feigns Concern About Reelection

Mark H wrote earlier about getting a fundraising call from Minneapolis Mayor RT Rybak. Now this comes in my inbox.

Dear Eva -



Last week I filed papers to run for Mayor of Minneapolis. With so many focused on elections a year or more from now, I am writing to tell you about the critical importance of the election this November in Minneapolis.

You’ve seen what we have done together: making major reductions in crime, putting thousand of people to work, leading major improvements in transportation, and giving thousands of young people hope through the Minneapolis Promise. (See more for yourself at www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/results).

Every one of these accomplishments has significant impact on people throughout this region, and much work lies ahead to keep progress moving on these important fronts. But right now, we facing two serious, specific challenges to our work:

First, every one of these results we’ve achieved is challenged by the Bush recession and the Pawlenty budget cuts. I’m about to deliver a city budget for next year that continues our top priorities of public safety and creating jobs, but we are making very hard choices with serious consequences to make up for the cuts we are forced to take as a result of the broken state budget.

The second concern for my re-election campaign is that this fall’s election is uncharted territory for all of us – as one of the first major city elections in American history to use instant run-off voting (IRV). IRV means that voters will not simply select one candidate to vote for, but instead rank the candidates in preference order.

How will this new process affect the election? The truth is, we don’t know. With IRV and 11 other candidates on the ballot, each with at least some constituency, we can’t just coast through this election. We’re going to need to run as hard as possible to rise above any complications that occur as voters figure out IRV.

For all this, I need your help.

In a close-knit city like Minneapolis, personal contacts are vital. We need every friend of the campaign to knock on doors, call their neighbors, e-mail their friends, and generally help us spread the word about what’s at stake. Simply put, we need the grassroots out in force. And that means you.

I hope you’ll visit www.RTRybak.com or give us a call at 612-227-9180 to join this vital grassroots campaign. Thanks so much for your support.

Sincerely,

R.T. Rybak

P.S. My Mayoral re-election isn’t the only important thing I’m working on, but it is really important – especially with the tough choices we’re making, and with the uncertainty of a new election system. I’m campaigning hard for my re-election, and I hope I can count on your help.


Give me a break.

1 comments:

jessica said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.
___________________
Jessica
Email Marketing Solutions