counter statistics

Friday, August 06, 2010

My Letter to the Target CEO

Nothing is more irritating than the 'non-apology' apology.

I read the text of your 8/5/10 letter on the Star Tribune website. I didn't see any acknowledgement that making the $150k donation to Minnesota Forward was a mistake, nor did I see an apology for making the donation. What I did read was was that you were sorry that your decision hurt some feelings, and you're planning on some meetings to talk about diversity. In the sole interest of supporting 'a business climate conducive to growth' (maybe), Target's generosity is helping a candidate for governor who is, in my opinion totally unsuitable for the role of governor. Have you paid any attention to Rep. Emmer's prior speeches and writings? Have you heard any specifics about his plan to make massive cuts in state spending? Did you ever watch him in action on the floor of the Minnesota House?

I know many smart, intuitive, ambitious people who have been successful in careers with Target. I would suggest that Target wouldn't be able to hire Mr. Emmer for any sort of management role - if he had to take the personality test. If he answered the questions honestly, he would not fit the profile of a successful leader at Target. Further, based on my understanding of the Target corporate culture, Rep. Emmer's unwillingness to present any specific plans that support his rhetoric would not be acceptable to Target management. Nobody (including Mr. Emmer's supporters) is holding him accountable for his rhetoric.

And yet, in the interest of 'a business climate conducive to growth ' (maybe), you think it's a good idea to have him in the governor's office for four years. I am stunned at the prospect.

I am in the process of transitioning my pharmacy needs from Target to Walgreens. I'm probably going to lose some savings and convenience, but I'm okay with that loss.

I have no idea whether this dust-up has caused any harm to your company, other than bad publicity - I'm sure somewhere there is a forecast model being updated that addresses a loss of sales, but it may not be significant to the overall corporate results.

But, be assured, I will never again spend another dollar at Target, and I am encouraging friends and family to do the same.


sandeep said...

our training prof-rams are carried out by highly talented and professional trainers for your better and bright career in fashion modeling and acting .

studio for rent in delhi